stuffed purple peppers
Updated: Aug 8, 2018
for the last bit i have been sharing some of my favorite #vegan kitchen experiments on my ig with #onewhitedish. i keep promising that i will start putting these up on my site and incidentally tonight is the night- this recipe is too long for ig and FAR too delicious and seasonally appropriate not to share. i also want to confess that blog posts with story lines drive me in. sane. (#justshowmetherecipealready) and that i am not a chef. i just really love to cook and happen to have a knack for it. ummm... and i am a horrible speller.
now that my conscience is clear... enjoy this first recipe!
garlic scape pesto stuffed purple peppers
(with hemp hearts and lemon + fresh herbed brown rice)
2 cups brown rice
4 peppers (preferably purple)
1/2 a yellow onion
1 pint grape tomatoes
4 cloves garlic (do not peel)
8 fresh green onions
6 tbsp hemp hearts
4 oz home made/ pre-made pesto (if you’re local to manchester, vt @earthskytime has incredible vegan pesto)
1/2 a lemon
himalayan pink sea salt (grind yourself if possible)
fresh black pepper
preheat oven to 375
1) in #instapot start your rice on auto setting (2 cups rice: 3 cups h2o)
2) cut tops off peppers and clean out the guts*
3) place peppers to one side (close together) in stoneware dish that has a lid (i love my #lecreuset ), dump your tomatoes on the other side (spread out) and put your whole garlic cloves in too
4) pour a little less than 1/4 cup water in bottom of dish, cover and put in oven for 30 minutes
5) dice onion and put aside
6) cut up green onion and basil, place half in prep bowl and add hemp hearts (put other half of basil + green peppers aside for later)
7) after the 30 minutes, remove peppers with silicone tongs and set aside, upright
8) drain water from stoneware- put tomatoes and garlic back in (uncovered) until tomatoes start to brown and plump (approx 10 minutes)
9) in a small non stick skillet set to low add diced onion, stir frequently
10) take your tomatoes out, remove the garlic and carefully peel skin (#itsgoingtobehot), take soft garlic out with silicone spatula and add to your onions. dump tomatoes in too
11) after a few minutes, carefully pop any un-burst tomatoes (may need to use a knife) and mix everything together. turn off burner
12) use quick release method to de pressurize the rice
13) in large mixing bowl add 1/2 the rice, tomato/ onion mixture, basil + green onions + hemp hearts and pesto, mix well, add s +p to taste
14) replace pepper bottoms in to stone ware dish, spoon mixture in until over flowing and put back in oven for 15 minutes
15) while peppers cook, squeeze lemon in to remaining rice. add rest of basil + green onions and a little s +p to taste
carefully remove your peppers from stoneware using silicone tongs and a gentle grip. serve with lemon herb rice.
feeds 2 hungry vegans with light leftovers
*side note I simultaneously roasted pepper tops + seeds, the rest of the onion + onion skins, bottoms of green onions, a bunch of seen-better-days carrots, some s + p + organic adobo seasoning. roast it all covered for an hour and then put in a pot with 8 cups water, bring to a boil and simmer covered for 30 mins. ladle liquid + bits in to fine mesh strainer (a couple ladles at a time) and press. store in fridge and use within a week or freeze!
P.S. Be sure to check out my 5-day online wellness program Essential Affirmations - my gift to you when you join the community!
(Who doesn't want a little inbox inspo?)